SWP technical reports by date
Please note: Some of these reports are restricted access.
- Potential for Growing and Processing Durable Eucalypts in New Zealand
SWP-T036 - Access: unrestricted.
In NZ there is considerable commercial interest in finding alternative forest species to radiata pine which (1) are naturally durable and do not require chemical preservative treatment for either in…
- Pest management for durable eucalypts
SWP-T029 - Access: unrestricted.
One of the more unexpected and important results from the phenology study summarised here, was that only one generation of P. charybdis was observed in each of the two years monitored. This…
- Modelling growth of Eucalyptus spp. on New Zealand dryland micro-sites
SWP-T027 - Access: unrestricted.
New Zealand’s planted forests are mainly established on low value land, especially land that is not useful for pastoral agriculture. Much of the low value land is found in hill country, which…
- Predicting Strain Levels in Air-dried Wood using near Infrared Spectroscopy
SWP-T020 - Access: unrestricted.
To investigate the possibility of measuring strain using near infrared (NIR) spectroscopy, spectra of air-dried radiata wood samples were collected while under different levels of tension stress. The spectral changes…
- Drying Eucalyptus nitens: Screening for checking and collapse
SWP-T022 - Access: unrestricted.
Eucalyptus nitens frequently develops within-ring checks and collapse (washboarding) during drying, making the wood unsuitable for use as sawn timber. Numerous studies have tried altering drying conditions to reduce levels…
- Early Heartwood Screening by Wounding
SWP-T024 - Access: unrestricted.
Trees can be screened at age (1-2 years) for wood properties such as growth stress, collapse, density or stiffness (Chauhan and Entwistle, 2010; Chauhan et al., 2013). Early selection reduces…
- Improving Heartwood of Durable Eucalypts - Manuscript
SWP-T024 - Access: unrestricted.
The New Zealand Drylands Forests Initiative (NZDFI) aims to establish a new hardwood forest industry based on naturally durable eucalypts. As key a product NZDFI has identified sustainably-grown naturally durable…
- Measuring Strain in Wet Eucalyptus Wood by NIR
SWP-T026 - Access: unrestricted.
These experiments investigated whether band shifts in the NIR caused by strain can be observed in fully water saturated eucalyptus wood samples. Air-dry samples with minor changes in moisture content…
- Heartwood in Eucalyptus bosistoana (2010 plantings)
SWP-T028 - Access: unrestricted.
The objective of this work is to screen the 2010 E. bosistoana breeding population for heartwood quantity (diameter) and quality (extractive content) CONCLUSION Variation in heartwood diameter between the families was observed,…
- Review of methods and recommendation for assessing defoliation Eucalyptus nitens from Paropsis Charybdis for breeding purposes
SWP-T030 - Access: unrestricted.
Eucalyptus nitens has a long tradition in commercial forestry in New Zealand. It is currently the most important Eucalyptus species in the country. As a fast-growing species of good form it could offer…
- Preliminary Decision Support System Stakeholder Analysis – towards the Scion SFF proposal for site-species matching
SWP-T031 - Access: unrestricted.
The purpose of this study was to conduct an end-user stakeholder analysis about the usage of Decision Support System (DSS) tools for alternative species decision making. The specific objectives were…
- Phenotypic assessment and quantitative genetic analysis of two Douglas-fir progeny tests
SWP-T032 - Access: unrestricted.
Two Douglas-fir progeny trials planted in Kaingaroa and Gowan Hill in 1996 were assessed in 2007 and re-assessed in February 2017. These two progeny trials are also training populations in…
- Economic comparison of traditional and genomics breeding for Douglas-fir
SWP-T033 - Access: unrestricted.
An economic analysis was undertaken to compare the value of the genomic and traditional breeding programmes for Douglas- fir in New Zealand. This report also attempts to demonstrate the value…
- Initiation of genomic selection research, collection of cambium and extraction of DNA from a Douglas-fir breeding programme
SWP-T034 - Access: unrestricted.
The implementation of genomic selection (GS) in a Douglas-fir breeding programme has been initiated within the Specialty Wood Partnership Programme (SWP), to explore the potential for genomic tools to increase…
- 100 years of the Eucalyptus Tortoise Beetle in New Zealand
SWP-T023 - Access: unrestricted.
The Eucalyptus tortoise beetle, Paropsis charybdis, has been one of the most successful insect pests to invade New Zealand. One hundred years have now passed, and yet this pest continues to cause…