SWP technical reports by date
Please note: Some of these reports are restricted access.
- Minimising growth-strain in eucalypts to transform processing
SWP-T087 - Access: unrestricted.
A four-year MPI Sustainable Farming Fund project 407602 was undertaken at the University of Canterbury School of Forestry (2015-2019). The driver for the project was the perceived opportunity for high-stiffness…
- Forest Protection SSIF research on species other than radiata pine 2018/19
SWP-T081 - Access: NZFFA membership. This SWP report shall at all times be kept confidential and not directly or indirectly be made available to anyone who is not an SWP member.
Plantation species other than Pinus radiata (radiata pine), in particular Douglas-fir and eucalypts, form an important part of a diversified forest estate. Douglas-fir is planted over approx. 105,000 ha. and is the…
- Rotary peeling of 15 year old E. bosistoana and E. quadrangulata
SWP-T079 - Access: NZFFA membership. This SWP report shall at all times be kept confidential and not directly or indirectly be made available to anyone who is not an SWP member.
It was demonstrated that rotary peeled veneers of good surface quality can be obtained from 15 year old Eucalyptus bosistoana and E. quadrangulata trees grown in New Zealand. The mechanical…
- Susceptibility of Eucalyptus bosistoana families to EVB defoliation across sites and families Feb/March 2019
SWP-T078 - Access: unrestricted.
In the absence of a PhD student being secured to continue the durable eucalypt health assessment work in time for the 2018-2019 summer season, Ruth McConnochie was contracted to assess…
- Evaluation of wood stiffness in Douglas-fir progeny test FR280_2 and FR280_3
SWP-T075 - Access: unrestricted.
The key outcome from this research is that wood stiffness was found to be moderately heritable, had low genotype by environment interaction and good potential still exists for improvement in…
- Identifying processing opportunities for key specialty tree species – resource analysis
SWP-T068 - Access: unrestricted.
This report covers the current and projected supply of Douglas-fir (Pseudotsuga menziesii (Mirb.) Franco), Cypresses and Eucalyptus nitens (Deane & Maiden) Maiden across all the major wood supply regions of…
- Identifying processing opportunities for key specialty tree species; - processing options analysis using the WoodScape model
SWP-T073 - Access: unrestricted.
The Specialty Wood Products Research Partnership wish to know where there are opportunities to develop processing of Douglas-fir, Cypress and Eucalyptus species (nitens and fastigata). A previous report covers the…
- Dimensional Stability of Specialty Species (interim report)
SWP-T074 - Access: unrestricted.
Dimensional changes caused by changes in wood moisture content (dimensional stability) can have a large impact on how the wood performs in service. Poor dimensional stability can lead to cracking,…
- Molecular deformation of wood and cellulose studied by near infrared and Raman spectroscopy
SWP-T071 - Access: Executive.
Eucalyptus can be alternative plantation species to radiata pine for New Zealand. One major problem preventing eucalyptus wood from high-value uses is its high growth-stress level, which causes problems in…
- Heartwood in Eucalyptus bosistoana (2009 plantings)
SWP-T072 - Access: unrestricted.
The ultimate goal of the NZDFI breeding programme is to exploit variation in quantity and quality of extractive content to identify superior families in terms of heartwood content and quality.…
- Hybrid growth models for Eucalyptus globoidea and E. bosistoana: Explaining within and between site variability
SWP-T070 - Access: unrestricted.
Plantation forests play a major role in satisfying many forestry needs such as demand for wood and different ecosystem services, which are projected to increase in the future. In New…
- Extending durable eucalypt species research by establishing new demonstration trials in 2018
SWP-T069 - Access: unrestricted.
While the NZDFI genetic improvement programme is concentrating efforts and resources on a few promising candidates, these and a broader list of species of interest are being evaluated in demonstration…
- Optimising new PSP locations for durable eucalypts
SWP-T065 - Access: unrestricted.
As part of an effort to develop a forest industry based on durable hardwood eucalypts in New Zealand, a network of sample plots for numerous species has been established throughout…
- The decay resistance of some wood species used as framing - Progress report on the condition of samples
SWP-T064 - Access: Executive. This SWP report shall at all times be kept confidential and not directly or indirectly be made available to anyone who is not an SWP member.
Sets of framing samples were exposed in high humidity conditions of 85-90% relative humidity and 25 – 27°C. The species included in this test were: untreated Cupressus lusitanica untreated Douglas-fir…
- The decay resistance of six Eucalyptus species in stake and stakelet trials after two years exposure
SWP-T066 - Access: Executive. This SWP report shall at all times be kept confidential and not directly or indirectly be made available to anyone who is not an SWP member.
Durability stakes and stakelets were prepared from six different durable Eucalyptus species, (Eucalyptus bosistoana, Eucalyptus quadrangulata, Eucalyptus pilularis, Eucalyptus sphaerocarpa, Eucalyptus globoidea, Eucalyptus muelleriana.) For each species timber had been…