SWP technical reports by date
Please note: Some of these reports are restricted access.
- Core funded aligned research on insects and fungi on species other than radiata pine 2017/2018
SWP-T061 - Access: unrestricted.
Plantation species other than Pinus radiata (radiata pine), specifically Douglas-fir and eucalypts, form an important part of a diversified forest estate. Douglas-fir is planted over approx. 105,000 ha. and is the most…
- Genetic analysis of Eucalyptus fastigata progeny trials and implications to selection
SWP-T050 - Access: unrestricted.
Progeny trials for Eucalyptus fastigata in the third cycle, planted in 2009 and 2010 in Kaingaroa and Waihaha were assessed in 2012-2013 for growth, form and adaptability. These trials are now advanced…
- Developing GC methods for analysing the foliar chemistry of durable eucalypts: a potential pest-tolerance screening tool
SWP-T052 - Access: unrestricted.
The objective was to develop and test methods (foliage preparation and gas chromatography method development) for assessing the foliar chemistry of durable eucalypt leaves to determine if foliar chemical analysis can…
- Sapwood Depth Tool – Proof of Principle
SWP-T054 - Access: unrestricted.
This research aims to develop a sapwood tool that can determine the sapwood/heartwood interface based on electrical resistance measurements with minimised set-up time. This report shows the first developed lab-based…
- Improved Drying of Eucalyptus nitens: Screening standing trees and drying thin boards
SWP-T055 - Access: unrestricted.
Following on from work in 2016/17, a model was created to predict the propensity for checking and collapse in E. nitens standing trees. This model was validated by measuring 100 trees, then…
- Pre application consultation has begun for a new potential biological control introduction to control Eucalyptus tortoise beetle, Paropsis charybdis
- Access: unrestricted.
April, 2018. Background The Farm Forestry Association, and Scion have been collaborating for the last 5 years on a project to get a new biological control agent into New Zealand…
- Douglas-fir breeding and genomics, Specialty Wood Products Research aligned SSIF
SWP-T058 - Access: unrestricted.
Douglas-fir research in the SWP programme has taken a huge step towards testing genomics for implementation of genomic selection methodology in the breeding programme. Genomics research has been funded through…
- LVL Stiffness Calculator User Guide
SWP-T059 - Access: unrestricted.
This software is only intended to be used as a decision tool that enables questions to be asked about the potential suitability of a wood resource being able to supply a range of LVL grades.…
- Evaluation of the Ernslaw One Douglas-fir progeny tests
SWP-T049 - Access: unrestricted.
This project evaluates a Douglas-fir open-pollinated progeny trial established on two New Zealand sites (Gowan Hill and Tramway), using seedlots from three Oregon (US) seed zones. The material was measured…
- Eucalyptus variegated beetle creates concern for eucalypt growers
- Access: unrestricted.
Annoying Australians are over here and eating ‘our’ eucalypt trees. Seven different tortoise beetles, named because their round bodies resemble a tortoise, have arrived in New Zealand and have been…
- Heartwood in Eucalyptus bosistoana (2010 plantings)
SWP-T046 - Access: unrestricted.
The measurement of natural durability is resource intensive (Harju and Venäläinen, 2006; Li and Altaner, 2016b). High resource demands prevent this trait from being included in breeding programmes. However, the…
- Thermal Modification of Douglas fir for Improved Durability
SWP-T047 - Access: unrestricted.
Douglas fir has been thermally modified at two temperatures; 220°C and 230°C (each for 2 hours). These modifications are expected to improve the durability of the sapwood, while maintaining the…
- Eucalyptus fastigata Veneer Stiffness
SWP-T048 - Access: unrestricted.
UPT (ultrasonic propagation times) on its own is measuring both changes in density and changes in MoE, thus without an independent density measurement it is not possible to reliably determine…
- Durable eucalypt forests – a multi-regional opportunity for investment in New Zealand drylands
SWP-T044 - Access: unrestricted.
We believe our vision for the establishment of a durable eucalypt plantation estate is a unique opportunity to add value to New Zealand’s current forest industry. With our elite breeding…
- Natural durability: Correlation between extractive content and fungal assay
SWP-T045 - Access: unrestricted.
The main objective of this work was to validate if extractive content (EC) predicted by NIR spectroscopy correlated with mass-loss durability measurements. 7 year-old Eucalyptus bosistoana heartwood samples with known EC…