SWP technical reports by date
Please note: Some of these reports are restricted access.
- Forest Protection SSIF research on species other than radiata pine 2020/21
SWP-T130 - Access: unrestricted.
Plantation species other than Pinus radiata (radiata pine), such as Douglas-fir, cypresses and eucalypts, continue to be of pivotal importance to ensuring New Zealand has a diversified forest estate, resilient against biosecurity…
- Spatial distribution of cell collapse in Eucalyptus nitens wood due to drying treatment
SWP-T125 - Access: unrestricted.
This work is part of a broader approach to characterising and understanding the mechanisms of cell collapse and within-ring checking in hardwoods during drying. Understanding the causes of such timber…
- Feasibility trials - peeling posts of durable eucalypts
SWP-T123 - Access: unrestricted.
Background The NZDFI aims to establish a ground-durable eucalypt resource under a short rotation regime to produce pole wood for use as agricultural posts (Millen et al., 2020; Millen et…
- Recommended sampling intensity for phenotyping durable eucalypt breeding trials for heartwood quality
SWP-T121 - Access: unrestricted.
The available heartwood quantity (diameter at 0.5 m stem height) and heartwood quality (NIR predicted extractive content) for ten NZDFI breeding trials was analysed with the intention to optimise sampling…
- Grade recoveries from sawing 22-year-old unpruned cypress clones
SWP-T116 - Access: unrestricted.
A Scion clonal cypress trial established in 1997 provided the opportunity to determine the grade recoveries of sawn timber from two cypress clones; GH5 (Cupressus lusitanica) and Ovensii (Cupressus lusitanica…
- Assessment of NZDFI Eucalyptus quadrangulata Breeding Populations
SWP-T120 - Access: unrestricted.
The objective of the NZDFI breeding programme is to define and then exploit the variation in selected traits by identifying and advancing superior families in the breeding populations. E. quadrangulata…
- Experimental testing of high capacity screwed connections in Douglas-fir CLT
SWP-T119 - Access: unrestricted.
This report presents experimental results of high capacity hold-down connections in Douglas-fir Cross Laminated Timber (CLT) using self-tapping screws installed with mixed angles (inclined and 90° angle to the timber…
- Developing the potential of New Zealand’s portable sawmilling and alternative timber sector - Report: Survey of small-scale sawmillers
SWP-T106 - Access: unrestricted.
This report provides the results from a survey of New Zealand’s small-scale sawmillers with the 75 survey responses received demonstrating significant interest and support. Given this feedback, a workshop is…
- Douglas-fir Regional Processing Strategy: Douglas-fir Strategy
SWP-T117 - Access: unrestricted.
Wooden It Ltd has been asked by the Specialty Wood Products research initiative (SWP) to prepare a paper on the regional strategic processing options available to growers of Douglas-fir (Pseudotsuga…
- Analysis of the treated wood market for agricultural and horticultural uses in New Zealand
SWP-T114 - Access: unrestricted.
This study analysed the treated wood market for agricultural and horticultural uses in New Zealand. Treated wood refers to fence posts for stock and crops, kiwifruit pergolas, vineyards posts and…
- Eucalyptus resistance to paropsine beetles
SWP-T118 - Access: unrestricted.
A wide range of insects can infest Eucalyptus trees in New Zealand, particularly pest insects that are native to Australia. Australian paropsine beetles are significant pests in New Zealand where climatic conditions…
- The current and future potential of contingency species to mitigate biosecurity risk for the New Zealand forest sector
SWP-T122- - Access: unrestricted.
The problem In 1969 radiata pine made up 54% of the planted forest estate, including eucalypts, larch, Corsican pine, Ponderosa pine, Austrian pine, and Douglas-fir; today radiata pine comprises over…
- Economic modelling of a C. ovensii clonal regimes for a range of growth rates
SWP-T115 - Access: unrestricted.
The outcome from this analysis of a short rotation (20 year) no prune and no thin C. x ovensii regime using the FGR Cypress Calculator appears to be profitable based…
- A Strategy for the NZ Cypress Industry: Workshop report and draft action plan
SWP-T112 - Access: unrestricted.
This document follows from Discussion Document produced by the Cypress Strategy Working Group in August 2020. Twenty participants from across the cypress value chain took part in a workshop in…
- Douglas-fir Processing Opportunities: Douglas-fir Strategy
SWP-T113 - Access: unrestricted.
Douglas-fir, as the second most widely grown exotic species in New Zealand, has an important role in New Zealand forestry and all wood consuming industries. Its greatest asset lies in…