SWP technical reports by date
Please note: Some of these reports are restricted access.
- Improving Heartwood of Durable Eucalypts - Manuscript
SWP-T024 - Access: unrestricted.
The New Zealand Drylands Forests Initiative (NZDFI) aims to establish a new hardwood forest industry based on naturally durable eucalypts. As key a product NZDFI has identified sustainably-grown naturally durable…
- Measuring Strain in Wet Eucalyptus Wood by NIR
SWP-T026 - Access: unrestricted.
These experiments investigated whether band shifts in the NIR caused by strain can be observed in fully water saturated eucalyptus wood samples. Air-dry samples with minor changes in moisture content…
- Heartwood in Eucalyptus bosistoana (2010 plantings)
SWP-T028 - Access: unrestricted.
The objective of this work is to screen the 2010 E. bosistoana breeding population for heartwood quantity (diameter) and quality (extractive content) CONCLUSION Variation in heartwood diameter between the families was observed,…
- Review of methods and recommendation for assessing defoliation Eucalyptus nitens from Paropsis Charybdis for breeding purposes
SWP-T030 - Access: unrestricted.
Eucalyptus nitens has a long tradition in commercial forestry in New Zealand. It is currently the most important Eucalyptus species in the country. As a fast-growing species of good form it could offer…
- Preliminary Decision Support System Stakeholder Analysis – towards the Scion SFF proposal for site-species matching
SWP-T031 - Access: unrestricted.
The purpose of this study was to conduct an end-user stakeholder analysis about the usage of Decision Support System (DSS) tools for alternative species decision making. The specific objectives were…
- Phenotypic assessment and quantitative genetic analysis of two Douglas-fir progeny tests
SWP-T032 - Access: unrestricted.
Two Douglas-fir progeny trials planted in Kaingaroa and Gowan Hill in 1996 were assessed in 2007 and re-assessed in February 2017. These two progeny trials are also training populations in…
- Economic comparison of traditional and genomics breeding for Douglas-fir
SWP-T033 - Access: unrestricted.
An economic analysis was undertaken to compare the value of the genomic and traditional breeding programmes for Douglas- fir in New Zealand. This report also attempts to demonstrate the value…
- Initiation of genomic selection research, collection of cambium and extraction of DNA from a Douglas-fir breeding programme
SWP-T034 - Access: unrestricted.
The implementation of genomic selection (GS) in a Douglas-fir breeding programme has been initiated within the Specialty Wood Partnership Programme (SWP), to explore the potential for genomic tools to increase…
- 100 years of the Eucalyptus Tortoise Beetle in New Zealand
SWP-T023 - Access: unrestricted.
The Eucalyptus tortoise beetle, Paropsis charybdis, has been one of the most successful insect pests to invade New Zealand. One hundred years have now passed, and yet this pest continues to cause…
- A Regional Approach to Matching Specialty Timber Species to Sites
SWP-T019 - Access: unrestricted.
A report to summarise the Specialty Wood Products Partnership workshop on site-species matching A workshop on the theme of matching specialty timber species to sites was held in Wellington in…
- Eucalyptus nitens breeding plan
SWP-T018 - Access: unrestricted.
Eucalyptus nitens breeding has a long tradition in commercial forestry in New Zealand. It is nowadays the most important Eucalyptus species in the country, and as a fast-growing species of good form, it…
- Calibrating NIR spectroscopy for extractive content of E. bosistoana stem cores
SWP-T017 - Access: unrestricted.
A meaningful selection/breeding programme requires the assessment of many (i.e. thousands) of individuals. The time and labour requirements of standard durability tests based on fungal decay prohibit their use in…
- Identification of Issues and Opportunities for LVL from NZ Eucalypts
SWP-T015 - Access: unrestricted.
Information on the opportunities and possible issues for LVL made from eucalypts available or likely to be available in NZ is reviewed and summarised. While it is generally agreed that…
- Eucalyptus nitens Optimised Engineered Lumber (OELTM) Trial
SWP-T014 - Access: unrestricted.
The OELTM (Optimised Engineered Lumber) technology produces structural products with known, uniform and reliable properties. There is financial advantage derived from the fact that all the merchantable OELTM production output is certified…
- Screening Eucalyptus bosistoana for Heartwood
SWP-T009 - Access: unrestricted.
Some eucalypts produce timber of highest natural durability and rich colour. Only the heartwood of trees can have these properties. However, the amount and quality of heartwood in trees is…