SWP technical reports by date
Please note: Some of these reports are restricted access.
- Economic impact of eucalyptus tortoise beetle (Paropsis charybdis) in New Zealand
SWP-T067 - Access: unrestricted.
A number of tree species in the genus Eucalyptus are grown in New Zealand on a small scale. However, the economic value of this resource is not known. The economic impact of…
- Supercritical CO2 dewatering of E. nitens. Results of Scion’s core funded experiments
SWP-T062 - Access: unrestricted.
The objective of this study was to see if removing sap from Eucalyptus nitens via supercritical CO2 dewatering reduces the level of checking and collapse This project Eucalyptus nitens was sourced from Southwood…
- Thermal Modification of Specialty Species: Results of Scion’s Core Funded Experiments
SWP-T063 - Access: unrestricted.
The objective of this work is to improve the properties of two specialty wood species (Eucalyptus nitens and Cupressus lusitanica) through thermal modification. Key results The major findings of this study…
- Bioactivity of Heartwood Compounds
SWP-T060 - Access: Executive.
This report is based on work according to SWP Work Plan No. SWP-WP026. The results are part of Gayatri Mishra’s PhD thesis, of which the relevant chapters are attached in…
- Experimental studies on rolling Shear Strength properties of Douglas fir CLT and Monotonic Behaviour of Dowelled Connections
SWP-T053 - Access: unrestricted.
Cross laminated timber (CLT) production and research in NZ is currently dominated by Radiata pine. However, there is a significant resource of Douglas-fir (D. fir) available in NZ, not widely processed on-shore.…
- NZDFI Biosecurity Risk Management Plan
SWP-T051 - Access: unrestricted.
A number of new biological threats to eucalypts have recently become established in New Zealand. NZDFI are particularly concerned about the risk of spreading myrtle rust and EVB (Eucalyptus variegated…
- Core funded aligned research on insects and fungi on species other than radiata pine 2017/2018
SWP-T061 - Access: unrestricted.
Plantation species other than Pinus radiata (radiata pine), specifically Douglas-fir and eucalypts, form an important part of a diversified forest estate. Douglas-fir is planted over approx. 105,000 ha. and is the most…
- Genetic analysis of Eucalyptus fastigata progeny trials and implications to selection
SWP-T050 - Access: unrestricted.
Progeny trials for Eucalyptus fastigata in the third cycle, planted in 2009 and 2010 in Kaingaroa and Waihaha were assessed in 2012-2013 for growth, form and adaptability. These trials are now advanced…
- Developing GC methods for analysing the foliar chemistry of durable eucalypts: a potential pest-tolerance screening tool
SWP-T052 - Access: unrestricted.
The objective was to develop and test methods (foliage preparation and gas chromatography method development) for assessing the foliar chemistry of durable eucalypt leaves to determine if foliar chemical analysis can…
- Sapwood Depth Tool – Proof of Principle
SWP-T054 - Access: unrestricted.
This research aims to develop a sapwood tool that can determine the sapwood/heartwood interface based on electrical resistance measurements with minimised set-up time. This report shows the first developed lab-based…
- Improved Drying of Eucalyptus nitens: Screening standing trees and drying thin boards
SWP-T055 - Access: unrestricted.
Following on from work in 2016/17, a model was created to predict the propensity for checking and collapse in E. nitens standing trees. This model was validated by measuring 100 trees, then…
- Pre application consultation has begun for a new potential biological control introduction to control Eucalyptus tortoise beetle, Paropsis charybdis
- Access: unrestricted.
April, 2018. Background The Farm Forestry Association, and Scion have been collaborating for the last 5 years on a project to get a new biological control agent into New Zealand…
- Douglas-fir breeding and genomics, Specialty Wood Products Research aligned SSIF
SWP-T058 - Access: unrestricted.
Douglas-fir research in the SWP programme has taken a huge step towards testing genomics for implementation of genomic selection methodology in the breeding programme. Genomics research has been funded through…
- LVL Stiffness Calculator User Guide
SWP-T059 - Access: unrestricted.
This software is only intended to be used as a decision tool that enables questions to be asked about the potential suitability of a wood resource being able to supply a range of LVL grades.…
- Evaluation of the Ernslaw One Douglas-fir progeny tests
SWP-T049 - Access: unrestricted.
This project evaluates a Douglas-fir open-pollinated progeny trial established on two New Zealand sites (Gowan Hill and Tramway), using seedlots from three Oregon (US) seed zones. The material was measured…