Official website of the New Zealand Farm Forestry Association
- Clean and green – controlling weeds in planted forests
Carol Rolando, Brenda Baillie, Loretta Garrett and Michelle Harnett, August 2015
Herbicide use in planted forests is changing in response to consumer demand for wood and wood products from sustainably managed forests. Six years of research at Scion, focussing on minimising…
- What is wrong with wildings?
Nick Ledgard, May 2011
What is wrong with wilding trees? This would be the most frequent question I am asked. The people looking for an answer are increasingly aware that many forests which have…
- Broom and gorse - are we as awake as we should be?
Nick Ledgard, May 2005
This article is a departure from the normal tree topics, but it involves a couple of woody plants with which most of us are equally familiar - namely broom Cytisus…
- Mt Barker wilding Corsican pines
John Purey-Cust, May 2008
Nick Ledgard and Gordon Baker’s wilding pine management joint venture on land owned by Canterbury University Wilding pines covering the hillside All from a shelter belt The wildings, predominantly Corsican…
- Weeds in indigenous forests
Melissa Brignall-Theyer, Sarah Richardson and Susan Wiser, May 2008
The most challenging weeds for managed indigenous forests are those that can disperse into harvested areas, prevent regeneration of native tree species or persist as potential competitors to adult native…
- What's wrong with wilding trees? Nick Ledgard's Blog, July 07, 2016
Having been a high country forester all my working life and spent much of the later years dealing with wildings, I have long pondered on the pro's and con's of…
- Land Information NZ develops wildling tool January 2019
A new tool to enable the public to help fight one of New Zealand’s most invasive species has been created by Land Information New Zealand (LINZ). Wilding Watch can be…
- Wilding conifer work plan announced July 2017
Primary Industries Minister Nathan Guy and Conservation Minister Maggie Barry have announced the Government will control the spread of wilding conifers over an additional five priority areas this year in…
- Managing weeds in planted forests August 2015
In a new Scion video, Dr Carol Rolando talks about recent research looking at managing weeds in planted forests. Scion scientists, led by Dr Carol Rolando, have confirmed that most…
- Minimising the environmental impact of weed management in New Zealand’s planted forests August 2015
Field trials of herbicides in forest weed management were undertaken in this Sustainable Farming Fund programme. To retain Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) and other certification status, certified forests will need to…
- Giving forests a head start with good weed control November 2014
Effective weed control contributes significantly to the survival and growth of newly planted stands, and also promotes productivity throughout the life of the stand. November 2014 Scion’s Weed Management Team…
- Wilding conifer ID guide
A new field guide has been developed for identifying high country wilding conifers, and is available free for download
- New Zealand Wilding Conifer Management Group
A Group dedicated to support the active management of wilding conifer infestations in New Zealand
- Guidelines for the use of the Decision Support System “Calculating Wilding Spread Risk From New Plantings”
Assessing the risk of wilding spread is the first step for any afforestation proposal.
- Forest weed control manual
FRI Bulletin No. 180, Davenhill, N. A; Ray, J W; Vanner, A L (1997).
- Minimising the environmental impact of weed management in New Zealand’s planted forests
Carol Rolando and Michelle Harnett, June 2015, NZFRI ltd.
- Good Practice for Aerial Wanding (Basal Bark Application) of Wilding Conifers
30 May 2017, National Wilding Conifer Control Programme, Christchurch
- Cost benefit analysis of wilding conifer management in New Zealand - Part 1: Impacts under current management
Velarde, S., T. Paul, J. Monge and R. Yao (2015).
- Alternatives to the chemical control of weeds: Proceedings of an international conference, 25-27 July, 1989
FRI Bulletin No. 155, Bassett, C., L. J. Whitehouse and J. A. Zabkiewicz (1990).
- Species of Cortaderia (pampas grasses and toetoe) in New Zealand
FRI Bulletin No. 105, Knowles, B. and C. Ecroyd (1985).