SWP technical reports by date
Please note: Some of these reports are restricted access.
- Assessment of NZDFI’s 2011 Eucalyptus quadrangulata breeding populations
SWP-T144 - Access: unrestricted.
This report concerns the phenotyping of NZDFI’s 2011 E. quadrangulata breeding populations at McNeil and Cuddon for heartwood. Genetic analysis of the trials was hampered by the small number of families (~20). Larger E. quadrangulata breeding…
- National forest owner survey and resource inventory of alternative species. Stage 2b: Mapping alternative species using remote sensing
SWP-T143 - Access: unrestricted.
Stage 2b: Mapping alternative species using remote sensing This study provides a proof of concept of using remote sensing to classify species of small-scale plantation at a regional level and…
- Techno-economic analysis of producing engineered and thermally modified products from specialty wood species
SWP-T141 - Access: unrestricted.
This report covers an analysis of making a range of engineered and modified wood products from non-radiata species. The products and wood species considered were: Non-durable eucalypt peeled veneer Non-durable…
- Assessment of Eucalyptus globoidea heartwood at Ngaumu
SWP-T142 - Access: unrestricted.
The third (JNL Ngaumu) of three E. globoidea breeding trials has been phenotyped for heartwood properties (Milestone M10 Workplan SWP-WP130). The results were comparable to the assessment of the previous E. globoidea trials at…
- Developing the potential of New Zealand’s small-scale sawmilling and alternative timber sector: proposal for regional NZ workshops
SWP-T137 - Access: unrestricted.
The overall objective of this project is for FGR, through the SWP, to develop and facilitate a series of regional ‘NZ Specialty Wood Trade Shows’ as well as industry workshops, the…
- New Zealand Cypress Strategy 2021 – 2041
SWP-T138 - Access: unrestricted.
This strategy presents the business case for developing a cypress forest industry, in particular the required market development for cypress timber and growing a plantation industry that is of a…
- Producing High-stiffness LVL from Eucalyptus fastigata: Part 3. LVL production and mechanical properties
SWP-T135 - Access: unrestricted.
Laminated veneer lumber (LVL) has been produced in a commercial radiata pine mill (JNL Wairarapa) using veneers from 23-year-old Eucalyptus fastigata. The veneers were glued using one of the glue formulations…
- Multi-environment single-step genomic evaluation of Eucalyptus nitens progeny test
SWP-T136- - Access: unrestricted.
The key outcome from this research is the ability to predict genomic breeding values for non- phenotyped individuals and parents using single-step genomic evaluation, especially for traits associated with costly…
- National forest owner survey and resource inventory of alternative species
SWP-T133 - Access: unrestricted.
Stage Two of Hawke’s Bay Region pilot project: survey of small-scale woodlot owners The Stage 1 objective of this project was to identify a suitable methodology for a NZ-wide survey and inventory…
- Techno-economic analysis of veneers & posts from specialty wood species (durable eucalypts)
SWP-T126 - Access: unrestricted.
This report was commissioned by the Specialty Wood Products Research Partnership and is aimed at assessing the potential for making durable eucalypt posts and veneers from a durable eucalypt crop, E.…
- Techno-economic analysis of posts from specialty wood species and radiata pine
SWP-T127- - Access: unrestricted.
The volume of post and pole grade logs cut from New Zealand plantation forests is in the order of 400,000 cubic metres per annum. Some of this material goes to…
- Assessment of Eucalyptus globoidea heartwood at Avery
SWP-T131- - Access: unrestricted.
The second (Avery) of three E. globoidea breeding trials has been phenotyped for heartwood properties. The results are comparable to the assessment of the previous E. globoidea trial at Atkinson. The data has been…
- Assessing heartwood in E. bosistoana cores from NIR hyperimages
SWP-T124 - Access: unrestricted.
Assessing heartwood quality with current technology in a research context is resource intensive and not feasible in a commercial setting. NIR imaging has the potential to remotely assess heartwood quality…
- Experimental and Parametric Studies on Douglas-fir CLT Shear Walls with High Capacity Connections
SWP-T128 - Access: unrestricted.
As an engineered timber product, cross-laminated timber (CLT) is currently gaining popularity around the world including New Zealand and Australia. Compared with Radiata pine, Douglas-fir is underutilised in the New…
- Cupressus x ovensii Bending Strength and Stiffness
SWP-T129- - Access: unrestricted.
In terms of bending stiffness, the C. ovensii achieved the SG6 structural grade, in terms of bending strength, the C. ovensii achieved the SG10 structural grade resulting in an overall grade of SG6. To…