SWP technical reports by date
Please note: Some of these reports are restricted access.
- Peeling pruned E. fastigata for high-stiffness veneers: Part 1. Green grade recoveries
- Access: NZFFA membership. This SWP report shall at all times be kept confidential and not directly or indirectly be made available to anyone who is not an SWP member.
New approaches are being sought to produce high stiffness veneers from New Zealand grown trees. Here the feasibility of producing high stiffness veneers from pruned Eucalyptus fastigata has been investigated. 42m3 of pruned…
- Wooden posts – a review
SWP-T095 - Access: unrestricted.
Roundwood (posts and poles) is an established wood product, making use of smaller diameter logs. Little literature on post production, the market size and value is available. While the New…
- Assessment of E. globoidea wood properties at Atkinson
SWP-T092 - Access: unrestricted.
While growth characteristics of E. globoidea compare favourably to other eucalypt species in the NZDFI programme, its wood properties in particular natural durability (class 2), ease of drying and to some degree…
- Preliminary juvenile height yield models for three durable Eucalyptus species by integrating site-specific factors
SWP-T094 - Access: unrestricted.
Juvenile height growth models are useful to get an indication and understanding of site-species matching and initial decision making. Furthermore, juvenile height yield models are rare especially from sparsely available…
- Dimensional Stability of Specialty Species (final report)
SWP-T090 - Access: unrestricted.
Changes in the moisture content of wood changes its dimensions. The magnitude of these changes (dimensional stability) can have a large impact on how the wood performs in service. Poor…
- A population-genomic and taxonomic study of Eucalyptus argophloia and E. bosistoana
SWP-T089 - Access: unrestricted.
The New Zealand Dryland Forests Initiative (NZDFI) aims to create plantations of high-value Eucalyptus timber species in dry environments on the east coast of New Zealand. This would enable the sustainable production…
- Bonding of E. bosistoana and E. quadrangulata veneer
SWP-T091 - Access: NZFFA membership. This SWP report shall at all times be kept confidential and not directly or indirectly be made available to anyone who is not an SWP member.
Aim of this work: To determine if two standard Hexion commercial phenolic resins will bond the E. bosistoana or E. quadrangulata veneer. Previous Hexion work has shown poor bonds with…
- Durable Eucalypts - A Multi-Regional Opportunity for New Zealand’s Drylands
SWP-T076 - Access: unrestricted.
Focus Areas and Action/Goals for 2019-2022 The NZDFI has developed this regional strategy to provide a rationale and overview of its planned activities over the next three years and beyond. The…
- Non-destructive detection of the heartwood-sapwood barrier
SWP-T088 - Access: NZFFA membership. This SWP report shall at all times be kept confidential and not directly or indirectly be made available to anyone who is not an SWP member.
This study examined the feasibility of using synthetic aperture radar (SAR) imaging to identify the heartwood-sapwood barrier in trees (Eucalyptus globoidea, Eucalyptus bosistoana and Cupressus ovensii). The dielectric properties measured of…
- Thermal Modification of Specialty Species Results of Scion’s SSIF-funded experiments
SWP-T086 - Access: unrestricted.
The problem The objective of this work is to improve the properties of two specialty wood species (Eucalyptus nitens and Cupressus lusitanica) through thermal modification. Thermal modification darkens the colour…
- The decay resistance of six Eucalyptus species after three years exposure
SWP-T085 - Access: Executive. This SWP report shall at all times be kept confidential and not directly or indirectly be made available to anyone who is not an SWP member.
Durability stakes and stakelets were prepared from six different durable Eucalyptus species, (Eucalyptus bosistoana, Eucalyptus quadrangulata, Eucalyptus pilularis, Eucalyptus sphaerocarpa, Eucalyptus globoidea, Eucalyptus muelleriana). For each species, timber had been selected…
- Assessed defoliation of Eucalyptus nitens breeding population to quantify genetic basis of palatability to Paropsis charybdis
SWP-T083 - Access: NZFFA membership. This SWP report shall at all times be kept confidential and not directly or indirectly be made available to anyone who is not an SWP member.
Eucalyptus nitens breeding has a long history in commercial forestry in New Zealand. This is currently the most important Eucalyptus species in the country for pulpwood, and because it is fast growing and has…
- Experimental studies on Douglas-fir CLT connections and core-walls
SWP-T082 - Access: unrestricted.
This project report summarizes the experimental testing results of Douglas-fir Cross-laminated Timber (CLT) connections and core-walls. 54 screwed connection tests were performed under both monotonic and cyclic loading, and 31…
- Sapwood depth tool – proof of concept field prototype
SWP-T077 - Access: unrestricted.
The sapwood depth (or size of heartwood) in standing trees can be measured by (1) the destructive method, (2) the semi-destructive method, or (3) the non-destructive method, with minimal damage…
- Assessing the Bending and Density Properties of six Eucalypt Species
SWP-T080 - Access: unrestricted.
Small clear bending strength samples were cut from the following 16 year old trees that had already been felled for an earlier SWP durability study. E. bosistoana E. quadrangulata E.…