SWP technical reports by date
Please note: Some of these reports are restricted access.
- Identifying processing opportunities for key specialty tree species; - processing options analysis using the WoodScape model
SWP-T073 - Access: unrestricted.
The Specialty Wood Products Research Partnership wish to know where there are opportunities to develop processing of Douglas-fir, Cypress and Eucalyptus species (nitens and fastigata). A previous report covers the…
- Dimensional Stability of Specialty Species
SWP-T074 - Access: unrestricted.
Dimensional changes caused by changes in wood moisture content (dimensional stability) can have a large impact on how the wood performs in service. Poor dimensional stability can lead to cracking,…
- Molecular deformation of wood and cellulose studied by near infrared and Raman spectroscopy
SWP-T071 - Access: Executive.
Eucalyptus can be alternative plantation species to radiata pine for New Zealand. One major problem preventing eucalyptus wood from high-value uses is its high growth-stress level, which causes problems in…
- Heartwood in Eucalyptus bosistoana (2009 plantings)
SWP-T072 - Access: unrestricted.
The ultimate goal of the NZDFI breeding programme is to exploit variation in quantity and quality of extractive content to identify superior families in terms of heartwood content and quality.…
- Hybrid growth models for Eucalyptus globoidea and E. bosistoana: Explaining within and between site variability
SWP-T070 - Access: unrestricted.
Plantation forests play a major role in satisfying many forestry needs such as demand for wood and different ecosystem services, which are projected to increase in the future. In New…
- Extending durable eucalypt species research by establishing new demonstration trials in 2018
SWP-T069 - Access: unrestricted.
While the NZDFI genetic improvement programme is concentrating efforts and resources on a few promising candidates, these and a broader list of species of interest are being evaluated in demonstration…
- Optimising new PSP locations for durable eucalypts
SWP-T065 - Access: unrestricted.
As part of an effort to develop a forest industry based on durable hardwood eucalypts in New Zealand, a network of sample plots for numerous species has been established throughout…
- The decay resistance of some wood species used as framing - Progress report on the condition of samples
SWP-T064 - Access: NZFFA membership.
Sets of framing samples were exposed in high humidity conditions of 85-90% relative humidity and 25 – 27°C. The species included in this test were: untreated Cupressus lusitanica untreated Douglas-fir…
- The decay resistance of six Eucalyptus species in stake and stakelet trials after two years exposure
SWP-T066 - Access: Executive.
Durability stakes and stakelets were prepared from six different durable Eucalyptus species, (Eucalyptus bosistoana, Eucalyptus quadrangulata, Eucalyptus pilularis, Eucalyptus sphaerocarpa, Eucalyptus globoidea, Eucalyptus muelleriana.) For each species timber had been…
- Economic impact of eucalyptus tortoise beetle (Paropsis charybdis) in New Zealand
SWP-T067 - Access: unrestricted.
A number of tree species in the genus Eucalyptus are grown in New Zealand on a small scale. However, the economic value of this resource is not known. The economic impact of…
- Supercritical CO2 dewatering of E. nitens. Results of Scion’s core funded experiments
SWP-T062 - Access: unrestricted.
The objective of this study was to see if removing sap from Eucalyptus nitens via supercritical CO2 dewatering reduces the level of checking and collapse This project Eucalyptus nitens was sourced from Southwood…
- Thermal Modification of Specialty Species: Results of Scion’s Core Funded Experiments
SWP-T063 - Access: unrestricted.
The objective of this work is to improve the properties of two specialty wood species (Eucalyptus nitens and Cupressus lusitanica) through thermal modification. Key results The major findings of this study…
- Bioactivity of Heartwood Compounds
SWP-T060 - Access: Executive.
This report is based on work according to SWP Work Plan No. SWP-WP026. The results are part of Gayatri Mishra’s PhD thesis, of which the relevant chapters are attached in…
- Experimental studies on rolling Shear Strength properties of Douglas fir CLT and Monotonic Behaviour of Dowelled Connections
SWP-T053 - Access: unrestricted.
Cross laminated timber (CLT) production and research in NZ is currently dominated by Radiata pine. However, there is a significant resource of Douglas-fir (D. fir) available in NZ, not widely processed on-shore.…
- NZDFI Biosecurity Risk Management Plan
SWP-T051 - Access: unrestricted.
A number of new biological threats to eucalypts have recently become established in New Zealand. NZDFI are particularly concerned about the risk of spreading myrtle rust and EVB (Eucalyptus variegated…