SWP technical reports by date
Please note: Some of these reports are restricted access.
- Developing the potential of New Zealand’s portable sawmilling and alternative timber sector - Report: Survey of small-scale sawmillers
SWP-T106 - Access: unrestricted.
This report provides the results from a survey of New Zealand’s small-scale sawmillers with the 75 survey responses received demonstrating significant interest and support. Given this feedback, a workshop is…
- NZ Cypress Forestry Strategy - Stage One 2019-2020
SWP-T099 - Access: unrestricted.
Interim report – industry consultation; forest resource analysis; draft strategy development Outcomes of consultation with corporate growers and the harvesting and marketing and consultancy sectors
- Bonding of Eucalyptus fastigata veneer
SWP-T103 - Access: NZFFA membership. This SWP report shall at all times be kept confidential and not directly or indirectly be made available to anyone who is not an SWP member.
Aim of this work: To determine if two standard Hexion commercial phenolic resins will bond the E. fastigata veneer. Previous Hexion NZ work has shown poor bonds with a number of different…
- The Specialty Wood Products Research Partnership - Progress on activities 2015-2020
SWP-T107 - Access: unrestricted.
The SWP programme aims to transform processing options for species other than radiata pine including eucalypts, Douglas-fir and cypresses, develop improved breeding stock to overcome current wood quality and forest…
- Heartwood in Eucalyptus bosistoana (JNL Ngaumu 2012 trial)
SWP-T108 - Access: unrestricted.
The ultimate goal of NZDFI breeding programme is to exploit variation in quantity and quality of extractive content to identify superior families in terms of heartwood content and quality. The…
- Peeling and sawing pruned E. fastigata for high-stiffness veneers: Part 2. Dry grade recovery and downstream testing
SWP-T109 - Access: unrestricted.
The feasibility of producing high stiffness veneers from E. fastigata has been investigated. Previous work found that the net veneer recovery was good (60% of peelable volume) and the Metriguard stiffness measurements…
- National forest owner survey and resource inventory of alternative species - Stage One of Hawke’s Bay Region pilot project
SWP-T110 - Access: unrestricted.
The Stage One objective of this project is to identify a suitable methodology for a NZ-wide survey and inventory of alternative species forests and their owners by undertaking a pilot…
- The decay resistance of six Eucalyptus species after four years exposure
SWP-T111 - Access: Executive. This SWP report shall at all times be kept confidential and not directly or indirectly be made available to anyone who is not an SWP member.
Durability stakes and stakelets were prepared from six different durable Eucalyptus species, (Eucalyptus bosistoana, Eucalyptus quadrangulata, Eucalyptus pilularis, Eucalyptus sphaerocarpa, Eucalyptus globoidea, Eucalyptus muelleriana). For each species, timber had been…
- Forest Protection SSIF research on species other than radiata pine 2019/20
SWP-T102 - Access: unrestricted.
Plantation species other than Pinus radiata (radiata pine), such as Douglas-fir and eucalypts, form an important part of a diversified forest estate. Eucalyptus species are planted over approximately 27,000 ha and contribute ~$40 million…
- Eucalyptus nitens breeding plan update 2020 (SSIF - Scion aligned funding)
SWP-T104 - Access: unrestricted.
Eucalyptus nitens breeding has a long tradition in commercial forestry in New Zealand. It is nowadays the most important Eucalyptus species in the country, and as a fast-growing species of good form, it…
- Densification of E. fastigata and E. nitens for improved surface hardness - Results of Scion’s SSIF funded work
SWP-T105 - Access: unrestricted.
Densification is a method of increasing wood density and hardness using compression and heat to deform and flatten the wood cells. It has been applied experimentally to a number of…
- Value of veneer, wood fibre and posts from improved Eucalyptus bosistoana trees
SWP-T101 - Access: unrestricted.
E. bosistoana produces high stiffness veneers, which could be used by New Zealand’s existing LVL industry to produce an internationally competitive product. Entry barriers are low as existing manufacturing facilities can be utilised…
- Assessing properties of E. nitens laminated flooring
SWP-T097 - Access: unrestricted.
Worldwide there is increased interest in engineered flooring products, which combine the look of solid wood with increased dimensional stability (i.e. reduced movement in service) and reduced distortion. Specialty Timber…
- Portable sawmilling of locally grown alternative timber species - A report on the potential for a sustainable small-scale regional industry in Hawke’s Bay Regio
SWP-T100 - Access: unrestricted.
This report provides a high-level review of the potential for a sustainable small-scale regional industry in the Hawke’s Bay Region based on portable sawmilling of locally grown alternative timber species for…
- Experimental testing of high capacity screwed and nailed connections in Douglas-fir CLT
SWP-T098- - Access: unrestricted.
This report presents experimental results of two project tasks. The first task is to study withdrawal behaviour of self-tapping screws (STS) in Douglas-fir CLT by conducting 167 withdrawal tests. It…