Plantation Forest Owner Biosecurity Levy
Forest Growers Research Annual Conference 2018 - Summaries, Presentations and Videos
FOA Forestry Bulletin
-Sthn High Country (south)
Immediate Past President & Newsletter editor
Phone: 04 4720432
Angus Gordon email@example.com
-Taupo & Districts
-Gisborne East Coast
Hamish Levack firstname.lastname@example.org
Patrick Milne email@example.com
-Bay of Plenty
The members area of the NZFFA website can be accessed by using your email address and password to log in.
Your email address MUST be the address you have provided to NZFFA for your subscription (which happens to be the one this newsletter was sent to...).
If you don't have a password or can't remember it, you can get one very easily. Just follow the instructions here.
Any problems logging in then email me.
Dean Satchell, website administrator
If you are receiving this e-newsletter and don't want to, please notify NZFFA by replying.
For more information on these events, they are posted on the NZFFA website >>
Branch secretaries, please make sure you notify head office of any branch or action group events.
- North Otago forestry meeting Where: Wainakarua Hall. SH1, When: Thursday 22 November, 7.30pm, Supper will follow, all welcome, Bring a friend or neighbour. Possums, Rabbits, Feral cats Rats, Wasps and much more for your…
- South Otago branch field day Where: Simon & Jo Davis's Coombe Hay property at 1296 Coast Road, Toko Mouth, RD2 Milton When: Friday 23 November, 1 pm Winners of the 2018 Peter and Pearl Moffat award. A packed afternoon of…
- Wairarapa branch field day Where: Paton properties, Martinborough When: Saturday 24th November 2018 Our next Wairarapa Branch field day will be hosted by Clive Paton, Ata Rangi Vineyard, Martinborough. We will visit the renowned ‘Bush Block’,…
- Wairarapa branch field day Paton properties, Waihora When: Saturday 24th November Where: 1787 Lake Ferry Road, Martinborough 10.30am – 3.30pm and later... 10.30am Meet at Waihora Farm (15 mins from Martinborough). Park on paddock at end of…
- Mid North branch christmas gathering When: Saturday 24th November, 11am Where: Headland Farm Park Beach, 71 Manganese Point Road, Tamaterau. Second Gate. Please bring: a salad or dessert to share BBQ available to cook your meat BYO…
- Tane’s Tree Trust AGM and Field Trip Sustained Yield Beech Management - Canterbury and West Coast When: 24th - 25th November 2018 Itinerary Saturday 24th 9am Drive from Christchurch airport to Oxford. Meet up with anyone joining in…
- Forest Levy Vote 2019 - invitation to hear more Each year forest and woodlot owners like yourself contribute about $9 million to supporting forestry in New Zealand. The investment comes from the Forest Growers levy. It supports research, health…
- Webinar - Learning from three demonstration wood energy applications When: November 29th, 2pm The webinar will be an in depth discussion on three recently installed wood energy heating applications. A recent review of the applications has produced a number of…
- Lower North branch event When: Saturday 1 December, 10.00 am Where: Diana Annandale’s Taupaki property near Kumeu. Meet at Diana’s house in time for morning tea and an introduction to her former production forestry programme…
- 2019 Biosecurity Conference Where: Scion (Rimu Room) When: March 5-6 Theme: operational biosecurity
- To Plant or not to plant, that is the question Ian Brennon's blog, October, 2018. I heard a fairly strongly expressed opinion at a recent forestry gathering about government subsidies to plant natives. The idea seemed to be that subsidising natives is a waste of…
NZFFA members can set up their own blogs on the NZFFA website. Email Dean.
Progress Update, November 2018
THE PREVIOUS UPDATE CONTAINED AN INCORRECT LINK. The link to the Biosecurity Levy Consultation page has been corrected, below.
- The Forest Owners Association has been named as the industry organisation representing the commercial plantation forest nurseries sector for the purposes of the Government Industry Agreement (GIA). This was the last administrative hurdle that had to be achieved before we could apply for a Biosecurity Levy Order. This document from the Hon Damien O’Connor confirms that the NZ Forest Owners Association represents the commercial plantation forest nurseries sector.
- There have been updates to the proposed content of the levy order. In particular additional information on how the rate will be set, greater detail on the mechanics of the data collection process, the length of time records must be kept and the option of arbitration to address any dispute. These changes are incorporated into the Q&A document available on the Biosecurity Levy web page:
It is proposed to submit the Biosecurity Levy Application in November. It can take between 6 and 15 months to be processed. All affected parties will be informed of the progress of the levy.
If you have any questions please email Glen Mackie, Technical Manager, FOA: firstname.lastname@example.org
Chair FOA/FFA Biosecurity Committee
Needle Disease/Phytophthora »
- Red Needle Cast Overview - Mike Baker, Hancock
- Managemenet of Red Needle Cast - Stuart Fraser, Scion
- Breeding for Disease Resistance - Natalie Graham, Scion
- Satellite RNC Monitoring - Grant Pearse, Scion
- Disease Modelling - Ralf Gommers, Scion
November 2018 »
- China in the time of trade crisis;
- Forest Owners submits ETS has stalled and action needed;
- Log clean-up at Tolaga Bay led by local forest companies gives beach back to the community;
- Carbon goal through returning New Zealand to forests;
- Land potentially suitable for new trees;
- Forest Growers conference looks to science support for forest development;
- Forest research awards – from moths to mycorrhiza;
- Combating debris flows and floods a high priority;
- Before you light, check it’s alright at www.checkitsalright.nz;
- Telematics cutting paperwork and increasing efficiency in logging trucks;
- Forest growers levy vote 2019
|Disclaimer: Personal views expressed in this newsletter are those of the writers and do not necessarily represent those of the NZ Farm Forestry Association.