Members of the NZ Farm Forestry Association have been growing radiata pine for many decades and have valuable experience to share. We recommend you join NZFFA and the Forest Investors Action Group, get involved with your local NZFFA branch, and visit some local growers to learn more about growing radiata for timber.
- NZFFA guide sheet No. 1: An Introduction to Growing Radiata Pine
Where should you site the plantation ? Will the site suit radiata pine? Radiata pine is a very site tolerant species, but limitations include: Wet feet and fluctuating water tables…
- Radiata pine for the next generation
Michael Watt and Harriet Palmer, February 2018
Finally, payday is approaching for many forest owners, as woodlots and forests planted in the 1990s reach harvest age. For growers planning to replant with radiata pine, and any new planters,…
- Re-manufacturing radiata pine from woodlots
Tom Boon, November 2013
Re-manufactured radiata pine products are of a higher quality than can be achieved with solid radiata pine. They compete with similar products manufactured from hardwoods or slow grown, more stable…
- New pine varieties help increase plantation profitability
Michael Carson and Susan Carson, February 2011
Forest and woodlot growers in New Zealand and Australia are beginning to experience a quiet revolution with the availability of supplies of highly improved clonal varieties of radiata pine. Cloning…
- Using Forecaster to maximise your forest investment
Jeremy Snook, May 2010
Forecaster is a software system used to estimate the value of tree crop returns based on predicted log out-turns. It works by modelling the effects of site, silviculture and genetics…
- Mapping the productivity of radiata pine
David Palmer, Michael Watt, Mark Kimberley, Barbara Höck, Tim Payn and David Low, May 2010
Forest owners, investors and policy makers all want to know the spread and productivity of New Zealand’s current and future radiata plantation. David Palmer, a geo-spatial analyst at Scion, has…
- Radiata pine silviculture in Chile
Donald Mead, May 2010
This article is based on a visit to Chile in April and May 2009, visiting Instituto Forestal and forest companies near Concepcion and Valdivia. Chile has about 1.5 million hectares…
- Breeding – getting the most from radiata pine
John Walker, May 2010
The best trees are tall, fat and straight – and in the best of all possible worlds they will be pruned and be at least 30 years old. This has…
- Wide planting does not work
Ken Jones and Neil Cullen, February 2008
In the 1980s the wide spacing of radiata pine was a popular strategy with farm foresters. The advocates of this system believed that the reduced establishment and tending costs and…
- Measuring radiata pine and forecasting yields
Dave Crawley, May 2007
Measuring radiata pine and forecasting yields has become a highly specialised area and there is now an increasing array of software and tools required to stay on the top of…
- Threats to radiata pine
Dean Satchell, May 2007
Nectria flute canker remains confined to the lower half of the South Island At the recent forest health workshop in Rotorua, Ensis held a series of excellent presentations on radiata…
- Plantation silviculture at the crossroads
Euan Mason, May 2007
What do you think of New Zealand? The classic question reputedly asked of so many visitors has provoked a variety of answers. John Lennon replied that after 10 minutes on…
- The Riverhead factor – a practical view of wood density
Ross Bawden, May 2007
I grew up in Riverhead – at that time a small country area on the outskirts of Auckland. It had several claims to fame including Riverhead spuds and the site…
- Initial spacing in radiata pine
Wink Sutton, May 2007
Recent silvicultural improvements, such as seed source – almost all seed now comes from seed orchards – nursery practice, tree handling, planting methods, weed control and the adoption of regimes…
- Tools for pruning radiata pine
Chris Meads – Levin Sawmakers, August 2005
If you have decided to prune, then use the right pruning equipment. The two most common methods of pruning are with manual loppers and saws, or a petrol-driven top-handled chainsaw.…
- Choosing radiata pine tree stocks
NZFFA Information Leaflets (2005)
NZFFA Information leaflet No. 2 (2005). Most forest nurserymen offer a range of different tree stocks for sale, with some quite large price differentials between them, reflecting the cost of…
- Report: Trees for steep slopes - radiata pine
Dean Satchell, July 2018
The focus of this report is on alternative species to radiata pine that offer productivity while at the same time provide superior erosion prevention to radiata. However, radiata pine could potentially…
- How Should We Manage Our Radiata Pine?: Denis Hocking's blog, May 21, 2017
At a couple of recent conferences we have had speakers urging higher stocking rates to increase total recoverable volume and returns from plantations. A recent paper by John Moore &…
- Radiata pine wood quality: Denis Hocking's blog, June 20, 2014
Radiata pine may be an easy and productive timber species for us to grow, but it has long been recognised that the timber does have a number of quality problems.…
- Keeping an eye on the health of your foliage June 2015
Scion seeks input from farm foresters around New Zealand to help in the fight against red needle cast and other foliar diseases. Red needle cast has posed a threat to…
- Growing confidence in forestry's future May 2014
Scion Research Programme 2013 - 2019 Raising the profitability of commercial forestry investments is an imperative for the entire New Zealand forestry sector and also vital to increasing economic…
- Radiata Pine Growers’ Manual
Maclaren, J. P. (1993). FRI Bulletin No. 184 (pp. 140). Rotorua, NZ: NZ Forest Research Institute.
Essential first read for growing and managing pine. Needs updating in places.
- New Zealand pine and Douglas-fir: Suitability for processing
FRI Bulletin No. 216, Cown, D. J. (1999).
- A dynamic framework for spatial modelling Pinus radiata soil water balance (SWatBal) across New Zealand
FRI Bulletin No. 234, Palmer, D. J., M. S. Watt, B. K. Höck, D. J. Lowe and T. W. Payn (2009).
- Equations for predicting defect core size for pruned radiata pine butt logs
FRI Bulletin No. 131, Gosnell, T. (1987).
- A manual for selecting crop trees when pruning and thinning radiata pine
FRI Bulletin No. 133, Maclaren, P. (1989).
- A further examination of the clearwood properties of radiata pine grown in New Zealand
FRI Bulletin No. 104. Mishiro, A., D. J. Cown and B. G. Walford (1986).
- Introduced forest trees in New Zealand: Recognition, role, and seed source, part 12. Radiata pine (Pinus radiata D.Don)
FRI Bulletin No. 124, part 12, Burdon, R. D. (1992).
- Introduced forest trees in New Zealand: Recognition, role, and seed source, part 19. The soft pines - Pinus strobus, P. monticola, P. lambertiana, P. ayacahuite, P. wallichiana and related species.
FRI Bulletin No. 124, part 19, Miller, E. (2016).
- Introduced forest trees in New Zealand: Recognition, role, and seed source, part 2. Pinus contorta Loudon - contorta pine
FRI Bulletin No. 124, part 2, Miller, J. T. and C. E. Ecroyd (1987).
- Introduced forest trees in New Zealand: Recognition, role, and seed source, part 10. Ponderosa and Jeffrey pines, Pinus ponderosa P. Lawson et Lawson, Pinus jeffreyi Grev. et Balf
FRI Bulletin No. 124, part 10, Burdon, R. D., J. T. Miller and F. B. Knowles (1991).
- Introduced forest trees in New Zealand: Recognition, role, and seed source, part 5. Pinus attenuata Lemmon - knobcone pine
FRI Bulletin No. 124, part 5, Miller, J. T. and F. B. Knowles (1988).
- Introduced forest trees in New Zealand: Recognition, role, and seed source, part 8. Pinus pinaster Aiton - maritime pine
FRI Bulletin No. 124, part 8, Knowles, F. B. and J. T. Miller (1989).
- Variable-lift pruning of radiata pine
FRI Bulletin No. 78, Koehler, A. R. (1984).
- Introduced forest trees in New Zealand: Recognition, role, and seed source, part 4. Pinus mugo Turra - dwarf mountain pine, Pinus uncinata Mirbel - mountain pine
FRI Bulletin No. 124, part 4, Ledgard, N. J. and C. E. Ecroyd (1988).
- Introduced forest trees in New Zealand: Recognition, role, and seed source, part 1. Pinus nigra Arn. European black pine
FRI Bulletin No. 124, part 1, Miller, J. T. and F. B. Knowles (1986).
- Long-internode or multinodal radiata pine? A financial analysis
FRI Bulletin No. 115, Carson, M. J. (1988).
- Wood properties of radiata pine in some forests of the Bay of Plenty/Taupo region
FRI Bulletin No. 81, Cown, D. J., J. G. Love, D. L. McConchie and C. Colbert (1984).
- Studies on the intrinsic properties of new crop radiata pine - III: Wood characteristics of 10 trees from a 34-year-old stand grown in central North Island
FRI Bulletin No. 80, McConchie, D. L. and D. J. Cown (1984).
- Studies on the intrinsic properties of new-crop radiata pine - II: Wood characteristics of 10 trees from a 24 year old stand grown in central North Island
FRI Bulletin No. 37, Cown, D. J. and D. L. McConchie (1983).
- Studies on the intrinsic properties of new-crop radiata pine - I: Wood characteristics of 10 trees from a 12-year-old stand grown in central North Island
FRI Bulletin No. 36, McConchie, D. L. and D. J. Cown (1983).
- A compatible volume and taper equation for New Zealand Pinus radiata D. Don grown under the direct sawlog regime
FRI Bulletin No. 67, Katz, A., A. G. Dunningham and A. Gordon. (1984)
- Radiata pine: Wood properties survey (revised edition)
FRI Bulletin No. 50 (Second edition), Cown, D. J., D. L. McConchie and G. D. Young (1991).
- A further examination of the clearwood properties of radiata pine grown in New Zealand
FRI Bulletin No. 104, Mishiro, A., D. J. Cown and B. G. Walford (1986)
- Export prospects for radiata pine
FRI Bulletin No. 136, Bourke, I. J. (1988).
- Field guide to nutrient deficiencies in radiata pine
FRI Bulletin No. 97 (Supplement), Will, G. M. (1985).
- The mechanical properties of New Zealand-grown radiata pine for export to Australia
FRI Bulletin No. 93, Walford, B. (1985).
- Current knowledge of the in-grade bending strength of New Zealand radiata pine
FRI Bulletin No. 15, Walford, G. B. (1982).
- Occlusion and the defect core in pruned radiata pine
FRI Bulletin No. 2, Park, J. C. (1982).
- Predicting diameter-over-stubs in pruned stands of radiata pine
FRI Bulletin No. 12, Knowles, R. L., G. G. West and A. R. Koehler (1987)
- Wood density prediction for radiata pine logs
FRI Bulletin No. 9. Cown, D. J. and D. L. McConchie (1982).
- Drying radiata pine in New Zealand: Research and commercial aspects
FRI Bulletin No. 206, Haslett, A. N. (1998).
- Model to predict the effects of pruning and early thinning on the growth of radiata pine
FRI Bulletin No. 5, West, G. G., R. L. Knowles and A. R. Koehler (1982).
- Clear grades of radiata pine timber: Development and evaluation of grading rules
FRI Bulletin No. 1, Whiteside, I. D. (1982).
- Predicting value losses due to resin pockets in timber from pruned radiata pine
FRI Bulletin No. 6, Park, J. C. and C. E. Parker (1982).
- High-temperature kiln drying of radiata pine sawn timber
FRI Bulletin No. 73, Williams, D. H. and J. A. Kinninmonth (1984).
- Slicing pruned radiata pine in a New Zealand mill
FRI Bulletin No. 126, Somerville, A. and T. K. Gosnell (1987).
- Commercial utilisation study of radiata pine thinnings for sawn timber production
FRI Bulletin No. 116, Haslett, A. N. and D. L. McConchie (1986).
- A sawmill and grade recovery study on P. NIGRA from Karioi State Forest
Timber Utilisation Report No. 8, (1986).
- A wood quality study on PRUNED P. RADIATA BUTT LOGS, Ngaumu State Forest
Timber Utilisation Report No. 4 (1985).
- A sawmill and grade recovery study on P. ponderosa from Karioi State Forest
Timber Utilisation Report No. 5 (1985).
- Regional validation studies of pruned radiata pine butt logs sawn to boards
FRI Bulletin No. 51, Park, J. C. and C. E. Parker (1983).
- Radiata pine plywood - the strength properties of small clear specimens of plywood
FRI Bulletin No. 83, Bier, H. 1984.
- Radiata pine plywood: An experimental study of the bending properties of structural plywood
FRI Bulletin No. 53, Bier, H. 1983.
- Density conversions for radiata pine
FRI Bulletin No. 49, Collins, M. J. (1983).
- Comparison of the tensile and bending strengths of 100 x 50 mm radiata pine
FRI Bulletin No. 21, Walford, G. B. (1982).
- Bending strength of termite-infested poles from Woodhill
FRI Bulletin No. 68, Walford, G. B. (1984).